Xplor International, also known as Xplor® and The Electronic Document Systems Association®, is a not-for-profit association for technology users and suppliers in the digital document industry.
The association is dedicated to providing programming and services designed to meet the ever changing needs of the digital document and customer communications industry. Our members are both transaction and commercial printers who design, produce, and deliver high volumes of print as well as electronic communications via web, mobile, or social media. Our member companies produce:
- Transaction Printers – High-volumes of bills, statements, insurance policies, direct mail, and customized marketing materials delivered via print, web, mobile, or social media.
- Commercial Printers – High-volumes of static and variable data print and direct mail utilizing commercial and digital printing technology.
Xplor programming and services encompass all aspects of the print and customer communications industry by providing great education, information, and networking opportunities to our members.
Xplor is directed, organized, and governed by its members, representing thousands of print and customer communication professionals around the world.
To provide education, information, and networking opportunities that support and help drive the success of our members and the companies for which they work.
- Education: Offer a variety of educational forums covering the latest technologies, business processes, and legal responsibilities that facilitate the creation, production, and delivery of electronic and paper documents.
- Information: Provide forums where technology users can exchange ideas and solutions with peers and suppliers to promote best practices in the industry.
- Networking: Promote networking opportunities that encourage the exchange of information and development of professional and personal friendships.
Evolution of Xplor
Xplor began as a Xerox 9700 User Group in the late 70s, becoming a not-for-profit association in 1981, opening the doors for other vendors to participate. Xplor is an acronym for Xerox Printing Liaison ORganization.
Originally headquartered in Torrance, California, Xplor’s membership and annual conference grew over the years. In 2004, the Xplor conference in Dallas, Texas had 160,000 square feet of exhibit space with over 9,000 attendees.
After September 11th, participation at tradeshows began to taper off due to budget and personnel restraints. It was then that Xplor decided to get out of the tradeshow business and focus on their core competency, education. The 2004 Dallas show was the last big show that Xplor held.
Starting in 2005, Xplor began co-locating with other venues and made the decision in 2008 to do their own stand-alone conference with a small vendor forum. In 2014, the conference was rebranded as Xploration.
From 2008-2013 the conference event was held at the TradeWinds Island Grand Resort on St. Pete Beach. Due to the growth of the event, the location moved to the Wyndham Orlando Resort International Drive in 2014 and 2015 before heading to the Caribe Royale Orlando for 2016 and 2017 then the Rosen Plaza in Orlando, Florida for 2018. 2019 was an experimental year in heading to the west coast, where we partnered with the ISA Sign Expo in Las Vegas.
In addition to an annual conference event, Xplor has expanded their educational offerings which include 25+ educational webinars per year, as well as seminars and other programming.