Over the last several months I have personally questioned the effectiveness of social media as tweeting, posting and blogging can eat up your time. As such I wondered if my time was being well spent.
At this year’s XDU On the Road I have consistently asked “How many people have a twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook account? Write a blog?” The majority of the people raise their hands for Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook with one or two writing a blog.
Then, I asked how many people tweet, use LinkedIn and Facebook AND how many people read blogs. Significantly fewer people raised their hands.
So as I was evaluating how I wanted to spend my time and resources in 2013 Deborah Corn of Print Media Centr sent me a report on my blog. Now, to make sure everyone knows, Deborah helps with my social media including Twitter and the Xplor Facebook page. As far as my blog, I write it, she makes it look great and then posts it for me. So, back to my blog.
The report I received from World Atlas stated the following.
- My blogs had 5,300 views in 2012 on 26 posts – Average 204 per post
- The busiest day of the year was September 30th with 261 views. The most popular post that day was Printing is not dead, it is different.
- The top referring sites were: Facebook, Twitter, networkedblogs.com, globalnews.printmediacentr.com, linkedin.com
- Blog was read in 117 countries (there are 193 countries in the world depending on what source you reference http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm)
- Most visitors came from The United States, India & The United Kingdom
Now these numbers pale in comparison to many others but a couple key things came from them:
- I know someone has been reading them, so there is an interest
- It give me a base line to expand ….. My goal for 2013 is 15,000 views read in 140 countries
- REALLY has motivated me to really see what I can do with it
Hope all of you had a Happy Holiday Season and I extend my best wishes for a happy, healthy, joyous and prosperous 2013.
Thank you for reading my blog, and don’t forget to pass it along if you think it is worthwhile.